Mixed Bean Soup
An incredibly hearty cold-weather soup. Make it as written, or leave out the bacon and butter for a vegan soup
- 1 T butter
- 1 T olive oil
- 2-3 carrots, chopped
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 c stock (we like it with Roasted Garlic or Sauteed Onion Better Than Bouillon)
- 4 cups water
- 5 (15 oz) cans of beans, drained and rinsed (I like 2 black beans, 2 white beans, 1 red beans. Use what you like.)
- 1/2 t rubbed sage
- 1 t thyme
- about 1/2 c cooked bacon, crumbled (leaving this out is totally fine if you want vegetarian soup)
- salt and pepper
- Put butter, oil, carrots, onion, and celery into a large stock pot and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook on medium, stirring occasionally, until aromatic and crisp-tender (not too soft, but carrots can be pricked with a fork), about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, beans, sage, and thyme (and more salt and pepper if desired). Bring to a boil on high, then reduce to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Uncover and add bacon. Heat through. Taste and add more spices if necessary.