Butternut Squash Soup
Everyone seems to have a version; this is mine
- 2 medium butternut squash, halved and seeded
- Salt and pepper
- 1 med-large onion, diced
- 2 T butter
- 4 c chicken broth
- 2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese
- 1/2 t cumin
- 1/4 t white pepper
- 1/2 t savory, crushed
- Add water to a large baking pan until there is approx 1/2″ of water in the bottom. Salt and pepper the flesh of the squash. Lay squash cut side down in the baking pan. Roast at 350 degrees F 40-45 minutes or until a fork passes easily through the squash. Cool and scoop out squash, discarding shell.
- In a large stockpot, sauté onions in butter until tender, about 5 minutes. Add broth, squash, and spices; stir to combine. Add cream cheese a little at a time and continue stirring. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Remove cover and turn off heat. Stir until cream cheese is almost combined, about 2 minutes. When soup has cooled, purée in batches in a blender (or use an immersion blender). Reheat to serve.