Originally, this soup came about because I had no broth, no soup meat, and no frozen vegetables – but I still wanted soup.
- 1 lb of your favorite sausage (casings removed and chopped, if necessary)
- 1 onion, diced small
- 2 T minced garlic OR 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 cans diced or stewed tomatoes (do NOT drain)
- 2 cans of vegetables, drained OR 1 bag mixed frozen vegetables
- 1/2 cup barley
- 4 cups water OR broth
- 1 T Italian seasoning (remember the Italian seasoning mix?)
- In a large stockpot, cook sausage over medium-high heat until most of it is browned. Do not drain.
- Add onions and garlic. Saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add barley and water, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes or until barley is plump. Stir a couple of times.
- Add tomatoes, vegetables, and seasoning. Simmer for another 10 minutes. Stir a couple of times.
- Taste. Does it need more water? Does it need more time to meld? Does it need more seasoning? Adjust one thing at a time, simmer for 2-3 minutes, then taste again. Iterate as necessary.